Analysis of Turnaround Time by Subdividing Three Phases for Outpatient Chemistry Specimens

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Abstract.

The Department of Laboratory Medicine at Asan Medical Center provides a special one-stop service to allow both doctors and outpatients to receive routine outpatient test results in a timely manner within 1 hr. We developed a new Laboratory Information System (LIS)-based monitoring system that records the laboratory turnaround time (TAT) in 3 phases and analyzes the time to complete each phase with relevant specimens. TAT is subdivided into preanalytical, analytical, and postanalytical phases based on the 4 time points when data are entered automatically into the LIS. The average TAT for 13,594 outpatient routine chemistry specimens with the one-stop service was 43.6±7.7 min. Completion times of the preanalytical, analytical, and postanalytical phases were 29.7±6.9, 13.9±4.1, and 0.02±0.13 min, respectively; 98.0% of the specimens were reported within 60 min. The remaining 2.0% were reported after 60 min with an average TAT of 68.7±11.3 min. Preanalytical phase delays were primarily responsible for the specimens reported between 60 and 90 min, and analytical phase delays were largely responsible for the few specimens (0.2%) reported after 90 min. For specimens reported between 60 and 90 min, the preanalytical phase was found to need improvement in order to shorten TAT; the main target for improvement was identified as the “waiting time for phlebotomy” step.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles