Hemorrhagic Pneumonitis After Intravenous Injection of Charcoal Lighter Fluid

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Accidental and suicidal ingestion of charcoal lighter fluid is encountered with increasing frequency due to the rising popularity of outdoor cooking. Poisoning with intravenous administration of this product in man has not, however, been reported previously. Bratton and Haddow (1) showed that intravenous injection of naphtha (the main ingredient of charcoal and cigarette lighter fluids) into rats produces severe hemorrhagic pneumonitis without significant hepatic abnormalities. Injection of small amounts of naphtha into the portal vein, on the other hand, causes severe hepatic necrosis with no pulmonary involvement. They, therefore, concluded that naphtha injected intravenously causes injury to the capillary or

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles