Soft Tissue Solitary Fibrous Tumor: Combined Surgery and Radiation Therapy Results in Excellent Local Control

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid



To report survival outcomes and local control in patients with solitary fibrous tumors (SFT) treated using surgery and radiation therapy (RT).


We reviewed the medical records of 31 consecutive patients definitively treated for SFT with surgery and RT between 1982 and 2012. The median age was 51 years (range, 23 to 88 y) and tumors were evenly distributed between the head and neck (n=9, 29%), trunk (n=10, 32%), and lower extremities (n=9, 29%). The majority of tumors were large (>5 cm) (n=23, 72%). Specimens had a median of 2 mitoses/10 HPF (range, 0 to 8). Nearly half the cases were treated with postoperative RT (n=14, 45%; median dose, 58 Gy) and the other 17 patients (55%) received preoperative RT (median dose, 50 Gy).


Median follow-up time was 59 months (range, 18 to 349 mo). The 5-year rates of local control, overall survival, and distant metastatic-free survival were 100%, 95%, and 92%, respectively. There were no local or nodal relapses and the 10-year complication rate was 6% (n=2).


Treatment of soft tissue SFT using combined surgery and RT results in excellent local control.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles