Psychosocial Issues and Self-Care
1. The American Association of Diabetes Educators has identified which of the following as the most important outcome of diabetes education?
c. fewer complications
d. increased life expectancy
2. Major depression affects about what percentage of people with diabetes?
3. One of the questions asked when using the screening tool for depression developed by Whooley and colleagues is, "During the past month, have you
a. been less active than you had been previously?"
b. slept for longer periods of time than usual?"
c. taken any medication to improve your mood?"
d. been bothered by little interest or pleasure in doing things?"
4. Ciechanowski and colleagues found that depressive symptoms had no effect on which aspect of diabetes self-care?
b. glucose-monitoring behaviors
c. medication taking
d. adherence to dietary recommendations
5. Surwit and colleagues found that a stress management program for patients with diabetes resulted in some improvement in
a. activity levels.
b. glycosylated hemoglobin levels.
c. dietary behavior.
d. adherence to glucose monitoring.
6. Which type of drug has been associated with an increased incidence of diabetes?
7. A study of participants in a weight-loss program by Wing and colleagues demonstrated that men lost
a. more weight when their wives did not participate.
b. more weight when their wives also participated.
c. no weight at all when their wives participated.
d. the same amount of weight whether or not their wives participated.
8. Fisher and colleagues found that organized cohesiveness influenced diet and exercise in
a. Italian Americans.
b. Polish Americans.
c. Hispanic Americans.
d. German Americans.