Unilateral Retinoblastoma Managed With Intravenous Chemotherapy Versus Intra-Arterial Chemotherapy. Outcomes Based on the International Classification of Retinoblastoma

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Purpose

The objective of this study was to compare outcomes after intravenous chemotherapy (IVC) versus intra-arterial chemotherapy (IAC) for unilateral retinoblastoma.

Design

A retrospective comparative interventional case series.

Methods

Patients with unilateral retinoblastoma managed with either IVC using vincristine, etoposide, and carboplatin or IAC using melphalan with or without topotecan with a minimum of 1-year follow-up were compared. The primary outcome measure was globe salvage.

Results

Of 91 patients with unilateral retinoblastoma, IVC was employed in 42 (46%) cases and IAC in 49 (54%). By comparison (IVC vs IAC), patients in the IAC group had greater mean tumor diameter (14 vs 18 mm, P < 0.001) and thickness (7 vs 10 mm, P = 0.001), greater percentage with active vitreous seeds (29% vs 55%, P = 0.01), and greater total retinal detachment (10% vs 43%, P < 0.001). There were no cases of group A in either treatment arm. Globe salvage was not significantly different in groups B, C, or E, but there was significantly improved globe salvage with IAC for group D (48% vs 91%, P = 0.004). Control was significantly better with IAC for solid tumor (62% vs 92%, P = 0.002), subretinal seeds (31% vs 86%, P = 0.006), and vitreous seeds (25% vs 74%, P = 0.006). There were no patients with pinealoblastoma, second cancer, metastasis, or death in either group.

Conclusions

For unilateral retinoblastoma, IAC provided significantly superior globe salvage compared with IVC for group D eyes. In addition, IAC provided significantly superior control for solid tumor, subretinal seeds, and vitreous seeds.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles