Revisiting conditioning dose in newly diagnosed light chain amyloidosis undergoing frontline autologous stem cell transplant: impact on response and survival

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid


Autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT) is an important treatment modality in light chain (AL) amyloidosis. Use of reduced-dose melphalan conditioning is common, given the associated organ and functional decline. The impact of full-intensity melphalan conditioning (n = 314) was compared to reduced-dose conditioning (n = 143). Patients in the full-intensity group were younger, with better performance status, fewer involved organs, lower tumor burden and lower Mayo stage. Full-dose conditioning was associated with higher rate of very good partial response or better (79% vs 62%; P < 0.001), complete response rate (53% vs 37%; P = 0.003) and organ response rate (74% vs 59%; P = 0.002) as compared to reduced-dose conditioning. PFS was superior in the full-intensity group compared to the reduced-dose group (4-year PFS 55% vs 31%; P < 0.001) as well as a longer overall survival (OS) 4-year OS (86% vs 54%; P < 0.001). In addition, the OS and PFS were significantly lower in the reduced-dose group compared to the full-intensity group in Mayo stage III/IV as well as stage I/II. A multivariate analysis confirmed an independent impact for conditioning dose on PFS/OS. This study calls for re-assessment of the use of reduced-dose conditioning in ASCT for AL amyloidosis.

    loading  Loading Related Articles