Transient Complete Heart Block Secondary to Bed Bug Insecticide: A Case of Pyrethroid Cardiac Toxicity

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Pyrethroids are the major components of various commercially used insect repellants. These are less toxic to humans due to their slow absorption and rapid metabolism. However, cases of suicidal and accidental poisoning with household insecticides are not uncommon. We report a case of a 59-year-old female who presented with syncope after an accidental exposure to bed bug repellant spray at home. She was found to be in complete heart block and was treated conservatively. There was complete resolution of symptoms and atrioventricular conduction abnormality on day 2 of hospitalization. She was discharged in a stable condition with an uneventful follow-up course. Cardiac involvement in pyrethroid toxicity is rare. We describe various clinical manifestations and the pathophysiology of toxicity caused by pyrethroid-containing insecticides.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles