Assessment of genetic diversity in Tectona grandis using amplified fragment length polymorphism markers


    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

There is much concern over teak (Tectona grandis L. f.) genetic resources because of uncontrolled logging during the past centuries. We investigated patterns of genetic variation within and among nine populations of T. grandis from diverse geographical regions in India, Thailand, and Indonesia using amplified fragment length polymorphism (AFLP). An analysis of molecular variance (AMOVA) showed that 57% of total genetic variance occurred within populations, the remaining 43% occurred between populations. Cluster analysis and principal coordinate analysis indicated that Indian populations are clearly separated from those in Thailand and Indonesia. However, the Berbera population from Orissa near the Indian northeastern coast is an exception, as it seems to have associations with both the Indian and the Thai–Indonesian populations. The Thai and Indian populations cannot mutually be separated in this investigation. The comparisons between Indian populations suggest that the northwestern Allapally plains population (Maharastra) is distinct from the two southern Indian populations that were analyzed.RésuméIl y a beaucoup d'inquiétude au sujet des ressources génétiques du teck (Tectona grandis L. f.) à cause de son exploitation incontrôlée au cours des siècles passés. Nous avons étudié les patrons de variation génétique à l'in térieur de neuf populations de T. grandis et entre ces populations dans diverses régions géographiques en Inde, en Thaïlande et en Indonésie à l'aide du polymorphisme de longueur de fragments amplifiés. Une analyse de la variance moléculaire (AMOVA) a montré que 57% de la variation génétique totale se retrouvait à l'intérieur des populations et les autres 43% entre les populations. L'analyse de groupement et l'analyse en coordonnées principales indiquent que les populations indiennes sont nettement distinctes de celles de la Thaïlande et de l'Indonésie. Cependant, la population Berbera située en Orissa près de la côte nord-est de l'Inde fait exception étant donné qu'elle semble avoir des affinités tant avec les populations indiennes que thaïlandaises et indonésiennes. Cette étude ne permet pas de distinguer les populations thaïlandaises des populations indonésiennes. Les comparaisons entre les populations indiennes suggèrent que la population du nord-ouest des plaines Allapalli (Maharashtra) est distincte des deux populations du sud de l'Inde qui ont été analysées.

    loading  Loading Related Articles