Digitalis must be banished from the table: a rare case of acute accidental Digitalis intoxication of a whole family

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid


Advanced Digitalis intoxication is a rare event, mainly associated with overdose in patients with Digitalis therapy. We report an unusual case of acute ‘familiar’ digitalis poisoning in three patients who had eaten potato dumplings flavoured with leaves of Borago officinalis L. unconsciously mixed with leaves of Digitalis purpurea L. A complicated clinical course with marked bradyarrhythmias was presented, with good evolution thanks to the use of digoxin-specific antibody Fab fragments. The theme of the domestic use of plants with medicinal effects has been treated and discussed.

    loading  Loading Related Articles