The successful use of “high level” PEEP in near fatal Endrin poisoning

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

The insecticide Endrin is a highly toxic chlorinated hydrocarbon which can cause severe CNS and respiratory derangement. Death usually follows intoxication within 24 hours. A 19-year-old male developed convulsions and gross pulmonary edema after the ingestion of Endrin. His trachea was intubated and constant positive pressure ventilation with PEEP of up to 28 cm H2O was instituted. The patient survived and recovery appeared to be complete.

Severe pulmonary edema is not a common finding in patients who have Endrin poisoning. The use of PEEP above 15 cm H2O is a controversial issue; however, we believe that it contributed significantly to the survival of our patient.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles