The Use of Nuchal Translucency in Contemporary Obstetric Practice

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Nuchal translucency sonography is the most powerful single prenatal marker for Down syndrome. Its detection rate is 75% at a 5% false-positive rate. The combination of nuchal translucency and maternal serum-free β-human chorionic gonadotropin and pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A can identify 85% to 90% of fetuses with Down syndrome for a false-positive rate of 5%. This method can also identify more than 90% of fetuses with trisomies 18 and 13, Turner syndrome, and triploidy for a screen-positive rate of 1%.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles