Amniotic Membrane Grafts to Reduce Pterygium Recurrence

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid


Purpose:To demonstrate the long-term outcome of pterygium surgery with adjunctive amniotic membrane transplantation (AMT) and intraoperative mitomycin C (MMC) in a large case series.Methods:Medical records were retrieved for this noncomparative retrospective study of all patients who had pterygium excision with adjunctive AMT and intraoperative MMC, from October 2010 to June 2016 with at least 6 months of follow-up.Results:There were a total of 556 eyes of 535 patients (291 males and 244 females) with average age of 51.9 ± 13 years who had pterygium excision (527 primary and 29 recurrent). For an average follow-up period of 17.3 ± 0.8 months (range 6–74 months), corneal recurrence occurred in 20 eyes (3.6%) and conjunctival recurrence in 12 (2.2%) in a total of 32 eyes (5.8%). Eleven eyes (2%) underwent reoperation. Other complications included granuloma (0.5%), diplopia (1.1%), and steroid-induced ocular hypertension (4.3%).Conclusions:Adjunctive use of AMT and short exposure of MMC can reduce recurrence after pterygium surgery. The procedure is less tedious and less time consuming, resulting in early recovery while saving the conjunctiva for future surgeries.

    loading  Loading Related Articles