Radiotherapy and Concomitant Intraarterial Cisplatin (RADPLAT) for Advanced Squamous Cell Carcinomas of the Head and Neck


    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Purpose:Review of the University of Florida experience in treating advanced squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck with concurrent intraarterial cisplatin and radiotherapy (RADPLAT).Patients and Methods:Thirty-five patients with Stage III or IV head and neck squamous cell carcinomas were treated between November 2000 and October 2001 with 3 to 4 cycles of weekly intraarterial cisplatin (150 mg/m2) and a rapid infusion of the neutralizing agent sodium thiosulfate (9 g/m2), followed by a continuous infusion of sodium thiosulfate (12 g/m2), with concomitant radiotherapy (RT). The primary site was treated with 70 Gy in 35 fractions with 6 MV photons, and the low neck received 50 to 70 Gy depending on nodal involvement. Median follow-up for all patients was 4.06 years; median follow-up for living patients was 4.34 years.Results:The 4-year outcomes were: local-regional control, 78%; distant metastasis-free survival, 83%; cause-specific survival, 65%; and survival, 57%. The majority of patients with recurrent disease failed at the primary site (73%); the remaining 27% of patients with recurrent disease failed only in distant sites. Nine patients required a neck dissection after chemoradiation because of suspected residual disease; 2 of 9 patients had residual tumor in the neck nodes. Severe osteoradionecrosis occurred in 26% of patients, and 9 of 35 patients (26%) required a permanent gastrostomy.Conclusions:RADPLAT results in excellent local-regional control and survival in patients with advanced squamous cell carcinomas of the head and neck. Outcomes from the University of Florida are comparable to those reported by other institutions. However, in our limited experience, the likelihood of osteoradionecrosis and permanent gastrostomy may be higher than what might be anticipated after RT alone or combined with intravenous chemotherapy.

    loading  Loading Related Articles