Nonoperative Treatment of Plantar Interdigital Neuroma With a Single Corticosteroid Injection


    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Patients who received a single corticosteroid injection for treatment of third webspace plantar interdigital neuroma were studied retrospectively. Forty-three patients (51 feet) were available for followup study (followup mean, 4 years; range, 2 to 6 years). Mean age of patients was 53 years. Pain initially was relieved in 36 patients (41 feet [80%]). Twenty-four feet (47%) ultimately required surgical excision, while most of the remaining 27 feet (53%), which had not been treated surgically, were the source of residual symptoms in patients. A single corticosteroid injection cannot be recommended as a cure for symptoms of third webspace neuroma, but it can be offered as a temporizing measure or as nonoperative treatment. A single corticosteroid injection does not preclude a successful surgical result.

    loading  Loading Related Articles