|| Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid
Occult choroidal neovascularization (CNV) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD) is known to occur with and without an associated serous pigment epithelial detachment (PED). Digital indocyanine green (ICG) videoangiography has been reported to provide enhanced definition of occult CNV.A total of 244 of 657 (37%) consecutive patients with AMD, with occult CNV and an associated serous PED evident on fluorescein angiographic examination, were further studied with ICG videoangiography.On ICG videoangiographic examination, 9 of the 244 (4%) eyes had no evidence of underlying CNV, or essentially a pure serous PED. Each of the remaining 235 eyes (96%) had evidence of neovascularization and were defined as having a vascularized PED. These eyes were further divided into two groups, depending on the size and delineation of the neovascularization seen. Of the 235 eyes with vascularized PEDs, 89 (38%) had a solitary area of neovascularization that was well delineated, no more than one disc area in size, and defined as focal CNV. The other 146 (62%) eyes had a larger area of neovascularization, with variable delineation, defined as plaque CNV. Based on conventional guidelines, some patients were considered to be potentially eligible for laser photocoagulation treatment.The results of this study suggest that ICG videoangiography may be an important adjunct to the diagnosis, classification, and potential treatment of patients with AMD and occult CNV associated with a serous PED (vascularized PED).