Donor-Specific Antibodies Against HLA, MICA, and GSTT1 in Patients with Allograft Rejection and C4d Deposition in Renal Biopsies


    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Background.Production of antibodies against donor-specific antigens is one of the central mechanisms of allograft rejection. This antibody-mediated rejection (AMR) is evidenced by the presence of circulating donor-specific antibodies and deposition of complement component C4d on renal endothelium. Although anti-human leukocyte antigen (HLA) antibodies account for a high proportion of AMR, in many cases anti-HLA antibodies cannot be demonstrated. In liver transplant, antibodies against glutathione-S-transferase T1 (GSTT1) expressed on the graft may induce an antibody response leading to a severe graft dysfunction. In addition, presence of antibodies against major-histocompatibility-complex class I chain-related gene A (MICA) has been associated with a poor graft survival in kidney transplantation.Methods.Pre- and posttransplantation sera from 19 patients fulfilling the criteria for AMR including C4d deposition in renal biopsies were included. Donor-specific antibodies against HLA-I and -II and MICA were studied using Luminex. Anti-GSTT1 antibodies were analyzed by indirect immunofluorescence and by an ELISA method. A control group of 39 patients with graft dysfunction negative for C4d was also included.Results.At the time of the biopsy, 4 (21%) patients had only anti-HLA class I antibodies; 3 (15.8%) had anti-GSTT1, 2 (10.5%) had anti-HLA-class II, and 2 (10.5%) had anti-MICA; four patients had combination of antibodies: HLA-I+MICA (n=1), HLA-I+GSTT1 (n=2), and GSTT1+MICA (n=1). No antibodies were found in 4 (21%) patients. In total, 6 (31.6%) C4d+ patients had anti-GSTT1 antibodies, whereas, among the 39 C4d-negative patients, only 3 (7.7%) had anti-GSTT1 antibodies (P=0.027).Conclusion.Besides anti-HLA antibodies, donor-specific antibodies against MICA and GSTT1 antigens could be responsible for the occurrence of antibody-mediated kidney graft rejection.

    loading  Loading Related Articles