Dynamic analysis of a biofilter treating autothermal thermophilic aerobic digestion offgas

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

There is little information to describe how a biofilter responds biologically and chemically to the dynamic loading of complex mixtures of contaminants that are present in autothermal thermophilic aerobic digestion (ATAD) offgases. This paper presents the results of a full-scale study that is the first stage in a longer project to evaluate the use of biofilters for treatment of ATAD offgases. In this study the composition and flow of offgases from an ATAD system located in McMinnville Oregon were characterized. The loading of reduced sulfur compounds (RSC) and ammonia (NH3) to a full-scale biofilter and the concentrations of these compounds in the treated air were measured on an hourly basis for a 24-h period, which was the feeding frequency for the ATAD system. The leachate from the biofilter was characterized for ammonium (NH4+), sulfate (SO42–), nitrate (NO3−), and nitrite (NO2−) concentrations to allow for mass balances on sulfur and nitrogen and to identify the biodegradation processes that were active in the biofilter. The removal efficiencies in the biofilter were more than 99% for hydrogen sulfide and methyl mercaptan and more than 94% for dimethyl sulfide and dimethyl disulfide. The total elimination rates of RSC and NH3 were 12.4 g-S m−3 d−1 and 6.5 g-N m−3 d−1, respectively. Almost 88% of the total mass of N in the leachate left from the biofilter as NH4+-N, while the remaining 12% was in the form of NO3-N and NO2-N.

Il existe peu d'information permettant de décrire comment un biofiltre réagit de manière biologique et chimique à la charge dynamique de mélanges complexes de contaminants présents dans les dégagements gazeux de la digestion aérobie thermophile adiabatique (Autothermal Thermophilic Aerobic Digestion). Cet article présente les résultats d'une étude en grandeur réelle, la première étape d'un plus grand projet pour évaluer l'utilisation des biofiltres dans le traitement des dégagements gazeux provenant d'un système ATAD. Cette étude caractérise la composition et le débit des dégagements gazeux provenant d'un système ATAD situé à McMinnville, en Oregon. La charge des composés de soufre réduit (Reduced Sulphur Compounds) et d'ammoniac (NH3) dans un biofiltre pleine grandeur et les concentrations de ces composés dans l'air traité ont été mesurées à chaque heure durant une période de 24 heures, ce qui est la fréquence d'alimentation du système ATAD. Le lixiviat du biofiltre a été caractérisé pour les concentrations de NH4+, de sulfates (SO42–), de nitrates (NO3−) et de nitrites (NO2−) afin d'établir les bilans massiques de soufre et d'azote et d'identifier les processus de biodégradation actifs dans le biofiltre. Les rendements d'élimination dans le biofiltre étaient supérieurs à 99% pour le sulfure d'hydrogène et le méthylmercaptan et supérieurs à 94% pour le sulfure de diméthyle et de disulfure de diméthyle. Les taux pour l'élimination totale des RSC et du NH3 étaient de 12,4 g-S m−3 j−1 et de 6,5 g-N m−3 j−1 respectivement. Presque 88% de la masse totale de N dans le lixiviat quittant le biofiltre était sous forme de NH4+-N alors que le 12% était sous forme de NO3-N et de NO2-N.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles