CP-216 Using rituximab for off-label indications

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Background

The extended use of rituximab for off-label indications accentuates the need for creating standardised protocols to speed up both the administrative processes and the supply to the patient.

Purpose

To analyse rituximab’s off-label indications as well as the treatment schedule used to evaluate the degree of compliance with the Royal Decree which regulates the use of medicines under special circumstances.

Material and methods

An observational retrospective study was carried out in 2015, in which all patients treated with rituximab, both exclusively or in combination with other drugs, were included. For data collection, the oncologic treatment management tool, Onconfarm, and the electronic clinic history programme, Selene, were used: age, gender, diagnosis, treatment schedule received, off-label indication or not, and, if affirmative, whether it was processed and authorised by the medical board at the hospital.

Results

74 patients were included, 38 women and 36 men, with an average age of 69 years (20–90). A total of 103 treatments were applied, the following being the most frequent: follicular lymphoma (23%), giant cell lymphoma (13.5%) and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) (12%). The most used treatment schedules were: R-CHOP (22%), rituximab every 2 months (13.5%) and rituximab quarterly (12.5). Of all treatments applied, 48 (47%) did not comply with the indications in the technical data sheet. The most frequent indications were: membranous glomerular nephropathy (14.5%), CLL as maintenance treatment (12.5%) and Mantle cell lymphoma and Waldenström’s macroglobulinaemia (10.5%). Of all the off-label treatments, 58% were processed following the procedures related to the use of medicines under special circumstances and authorised to be applied, while the remaining 42% were applied without being administratively processed.

Conclusion

Prescribing Rituximab for off-label indications is very frequent in hospitals. These situations should be registered under some therapeutic protocols, mandatory for physicians, and in which regulation by the Pharmaceutical and Therapeutical Commission should be actively engaged and involved.

References and/or acknowledgements

No conflict of interest

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles