Prognosis of heart failure patients with reduced and preserved ejection fraction and coexistent chronic obstructive pulmonary disease


    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

AimsThe long-term prognosis of patients with heart failure with preserved left ventricular ejection fraction (HFPEF) and coexistent chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) has not been previously investigated. The primary aim of this study was to determine whether the long-term prognosis of HFPEF patients with COPD differs from that of heart failure patients with reduced left ventricular ejection fraction (HFREF) and COPD. The secondary aim was to identify independent predictors of event-free survival in patients with HF and COPD.Methods and resultsWe investigated 184 patients with coexistent HF and COPD. Heart failure with preserved left ventricular ejection fraction was present in 98 cases (53%) and HFREF in the remaining 86 cases (47%). Mean follow-up time was 731 ± 369 days. Cardiovascular/pulmonary hospitalization or mortality occurred in 71 patients (39%). No significant difference was observed between the two study groups in terms of event-free survival (P = 0.457), but event-free survival was found to be independently associated with New York Heart Association (NYHA) class [III vs. I, hazard ratio (HR) 2.92, 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.09–7.82], Global initiative for chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) stage (III vs. I, HR 3.20, 95% CI 1.33–7.68), systemic hypertension (SHT; HR 2.99, 95% CI 1.41–6.33), and pulmonary hypertension (PH; HR 4.35, 95% CI 1.95–9.68).ConclusionIn HF patients with coexisting COPD, cardiovascular and pulmonary event-free survival of HFPEF was found to be similar to that of HFREF over 3 years follow-up. Furthermore, severe NYHA class, severe GOLD stage, SHT, and PH were found to be independent predictors of event-free survival.

    loading  Loading Related Articles