Dietary galactooligosaccharide elicits positive effects on non-specific immune parameters and growth performance in Caspian white fish (Rutilus frisii kutum) fry

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

An eight-weeks feeding trial was conducted to investigate the effects of galactooligosaccharide (GOS), on the skin and serum non-specific immune parameters and growth performance of Caspian white fish (Rutilus frisii kutum) fry. Fish (2.07 ± 0.08 g) were fed different levels of GOS (0%, 1%, 2% and 3%). No significant (P > 0.05) difference was observed in mucus protease activity, but inclusion of 1% GOS significantly (P < 0.05) elevated total immunoglobulin (Ig) level and lysozyme activity. Evaluation of serum non-specific immune parameters revealed significant (P < 0.05) increase in serum total Ig and lysozyme activity of fish fed 1% or 2% GOS compared those of fish fed control diet. Furthermore, the serum alternative haemolytic complement activity (ACH50) was significantly (P < 0.05) elevated in all prebiotic groups regardless of inclusion levels. Administration of GOS in diet significantly (P < 0.05) improved growth performance and feed utilisation. The results of the present study revealed that GOS administration is beneficial by improving immune response and growth performance of Caspian white fish.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles