Erectile function after anastomotic urethroplasty for pelvic fracture urethral injuries

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

There is an established association between ED and pelvic fracture urethral injuries (PFUIs). However, ED can occur after the injury and/or the urethral repair. To our knowledge, only one study of erectile function (EF) after urethroplasty for PFUIs used a validated questionnaire. This study was carried out to determine the impact of anastomotic posterior urethroplasty for PFUIs on EF. We retrospectively reviewed the computerized surgical records to identify patients who underwent anastomotic urethroplasty for PFUIs from 1998 to 2014. Those patients were contacted by phone or mail and were re-evaluated in the outpatient clinic by International Index of Erectile Function questionnaire; in unmarried men, the single-question self-report of ED was used for evaluation of EF, clinical examination and penile color Doppler ultrasonography (CDU) for men with ED. Overall, 58 patients were included in the study among whom 36 (62%) men were sexually active and the remaining 22 (38%) were single. The incidence of ED among our group is 72%. All patients developed ED after initial pelvic trauma and none of our patients had impaired EF after urethroplasty. The incidence of ED increased proportionally with severity of pelvic trauma. All patients with type-C pelvic fracture, associated symphysis pubis diastasis, sacroiliac joints diastasis and bilateral pubic ramus fractures had ED. Men with PFUIs had worse EF than men in other series with pelvic fractures without urethral injury. The majority (88%) of men with ED showed veno-occlusive dysfunction on penile CDU. So we concluded that men with PFUIs had a high incidence of ED up to 72%. Anastomotic posterior urethroplasty had no negative impact on EF and the development of ED after PFUIs was related to the severity of the original pelvic trauma. Veno-occlusive dysfunction is the commonest etiology of ED on penile CDU.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles