Risk factors for recurrence of diabetic foot ulcers: prospective follow-up analysis in the Eurodiale subgroup


    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Few studies have examined factors associated with diabetic foot ulcer (DFU) recurrence. Using data from patients enrolled in the prospective Eurodiale DFU study, we investigated the frequency of and risk factors for DFU recurrence after healing during a 3-year follow-up period. At our site, 93 Eurodiale-enrolled patients had a healed DFU. Among these, 14 were not alive; of the remaining 79 patients we enrolled 73 in this study. On entry to the Eurodiale study, we assessed demographic factors (age, sex and distance from hospital); diabetes-related factors [duration, and glycated haemoglobin (HbA1c) levels]; comorbidities (obesity, renal failure, smoking and alcohol abuse) and DFU-related factors [peripheral arterial disease, ulcer infection, C-reactive protein (CRP) and; foot deformities]. During the 3-year follow-up period, a DFU had recurred in 42 patients (57·5%). By stepwise logistic regression of findings at initial DFU presentation, the significant independent predictors for recurrence were plantar ulcer location [odds ratio (OR) 8·62, 95% confidence interval (CI) 2·2–33·2]; presence of osteomyelitis (OR 5·17, 95% CI 1·4–18·7); HbA1c > 7·5% ([DCCT], OR 4·07, 95% CI 1·1–15·6) and CRP > 5 mg/l (OR 4·27, 95% CI 1·2–15·7). In these patients with a healed DFU, the majority had a recurrence of DFU during a 3-year follow-up period, despite intensive foot care. The findings at diagnosis of the initial DFU were independent risk factors associated with ulcer recurrence (plantar location, bone infection, poor diabetes control and elevated CRP) and define those at high risk for recurrence, but may be amenable to targeted interventions.Dubský M, Jirkovská A, Bem R, Fejfarová V, Skibová J, Schaper NC, Lipsky BA. Risk factors for recurrence of diabetic foot ulcers: prospective follow-up analysis in the Eurodiale subgroup. Int Wound J 2013; 10:555-561

    loading  Loading Related Articles