Characterization of disease burden, comorbidities, and treatment use in a large, US-based cohort: Results from the Corrona Psoriasis Registry

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid


BackgroundPsoriasis is an immunodysregulatory inflammatory disease associated with comorbidities affecting quality of life. With the advent of new treatments, there is growing need to assess the long-term safety and efficacy of treatments in a real-world setting.ObjectiveThe objective of the Corrona Psoriasis Registry is to study the comparative safety and efficacy of Food and Drug Administration–approved biologic treatments.MethodsA cross-sectional study of patients enrolled in the registry, who initiated or switched to a systemic therapy at enrollment or previous 12 months. Descriptive characteristics (demographics, clinical and patient-reported outcomes, comorbidities, and treatment history) were examined at registry enrollment.ResultsAs of October 1, 2016, there were 1942 patients enrolled in the registry: 23% on apremilast, 4% on other nonbiologic systemic medications, 25% on interleukin (IL) 17A inhibitors, 22% on an IL-12/23 inhibitor, and 26% on tumor necrosis factor inhibitors. Overall, mean disease duration was 15.6 years, and 40% had a concurrent psoriatic arthritis diagnosis. About 66% had >3% body surface area involvement and 49% had a moderate or severe Investigator Global Assessment.LimitationsSelection and channeling bias can result in potential confounding that needs to be addressed in modeled analyses.ConclusionThis disease-based registry cohort represents a population exposed to multiple therapies, long disease duration, and multiple comorbidities and can be used to examine comparative safety and efficacy of various therapies.

    loading  Loading Related Articles