Relation Between the Type of Hospitals and the Decision of Adenotonsillectomy Indication

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid


Objective:This study aims to apply tonsillectomy criteria, symptoms and outcomes proposed in earlier studies to investigate patients who were given tonsillectomy indications at different clinical centers but were treated in our clinical center.Methods:The prospective sample of patients at the ear, nose, and throat clinic within our hospital consisted of 855 male patients and 684 female patients (1539 in total) with ages between 3 and 16 years old who had been given a tonsillectomy or adenotonsillectomy indication. The patients were allocated to 1 of 3 groups, depending on whether they had been treated in a public hospital, a private hospital, or a university/training research hospital.Results:Of the total of 1539 patients, tonsillectomy indication criteria were exhibited by 966 of them (62.8%) but were absent in the rest of 573 patients (37.2%). Most of the 966 patients with tonsillectomy indication criteria had been treated in private hospitals (n = 546; 56.5%), while the others were treated in public hospitals (n = 309; 31.9%) or in university/training research hospitals (n = 111; 15.9%). Furthermore, the majority of the 966 patients (84.1%) received the tonsillectomy indication in just 1 examination, while some of them (n = 154; 15.9%) received it after follow-up appointments.Conclusion:Tonsillectomy decisions can pose difficulties for ear, nose, and throat specialists. Therefore, such decisions should be made based on assessment of clinical evaluation and follow-up, information from patients’ parents, and the results of examination against the criteria outlined in the literature.

    loading  Loading Related Articles