Matrix Training for Toddlers With Autism Spectrum Disorder and Other Language Delays

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Although matrix training is an intervention technique designed to promote generative language, it has not been applied widely to toddlers with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) despite the benefits it may have for this young population. We investigated the use of matrix training to teach generative receptive language to toddlers with ASD and other language delays. Three participants were systematically taught to respond to instructions organized in action-object instruction matrices. Recombinative generalization probes were administered to determine if untrained action-object instruction following occurred without direct teaching in a multiple probe design. Although recombinative generalization was partial, approximately 30% of the learned action-object instructions occurred through direct teaching, whereas the other 70% of learning occurred through generalization. Matrix training provided a systematic teaching framework for facilitating generative language learning.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles