Fibroblast growth factor receptor 4 Gly388Arg polymorphism is not associated with pre–eclampsia in Turkish women

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Aim:

The aim of this study was to assess the association between human fibroblast growth factor receptor 4 (FGFR4) Gly388Arg polymorphism and pre–eclampsia (PE) by carrying out a case–control study in Turkish women.

Materials and Methods:

In the present study 159 PE patients and 161 controls were included. DNA was extracted from peripheral blood leukocyte and FGFR4 Gly388Arg polymorphism was investigated using polymerase chain reaction–restriction fragment length polymorphism methods.

Results:

For Gly388Arg polymorphism of FGFR4 we found no significant association between controls and PE patients. The frequencies of GlyGly, GlyArg and ArgArg genotypes were 56.6%, 36.4% and 7% for the study group and 50.3%, 44.7% and 5% for the control group, respectively. The risk of women with the GlyArg (odds ratio = 0.7, 95% confidence interval: 0.45–1.14) and ArgArg (odds ratio = 1.2, 95% confidence interval: 0.47–3.22) genotypes for PE did not differ significantly from that of GlyGly genotype carriers.

Conclusion:

As we could not find any association between genetic variability in Gly388Arg of FGFR4 and PE, this specific polymorphism of FGFR4 can be eliminated as a risk factor for PE at least for Turkish women.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles