The impact of TP53 mutations and TP53 deletions on survival varies between AML, ALL, MDS and CLL: an analysis of 3307 cases

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Alterations in TP53 have been described in many cancer types including hematological neoplasms. We aimed at comparing TP53 mutations (mut) and deletions (del) in a large cohort of patients with hematological malignancies (n = 3307), including AML (n = 858), MDS (n = 943), ALL (n = 358), CLL (n = 1148). Overall, alterations in TP53 were detected in 332/3307 cases (10%). The highest frequency was observed in ALL (total: 19%; mut+del: 6%; mut only: 8%; del only: 5%) and AML (total: 13%; mut+del: 5%; mut only: 7%; del only: 1%), whereas TP53 alterations occurred less frequently in CLL (total: 8%) and MDS (total: 7%). TP53 mutations were significantly more frequent in patients ≥ 60 vs < 60 years in AML (9% vs 2%, P < 0.001) and ALL (12% vs 6%, P < 0.001). TP53mut+del had a significant negative impact on overall survival in all entities, whereas differences were observed regarding TP53mut only or TP53del only: TP53mut only impacted survival in AML (36 vs 9 months, P < 0.001) and MDS (65 vs 19 months, P < 0.001), TP53del only in CLL (not reached vs 64 months, P = 0.008) and MDS (65 vs 24 months, P = 0.011). As substantial differences between the entities are observed regarding correlation to age and survival, we suggest evaluation of both TP53 deletion and mutation status.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles