Retrospective clinical analysis of 320 cases of microvascular decompression for hemifacial spasm

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

To investigate effects of microvascular decompression (MVD) surgical treatment on hemifacial spasm.

A retrospective analysis of 320 adult patients (95 male cases, 29.7% and 225 female cases, 70.3%) with hemifacial spasm treated by surgery was conducted between February 2007 to June 2016, with an average age of 49.3 years and average disease course of 4.9 years. All the 320 cases of patients received MVD. After surgery, all patients were followed up for an average of 2.3 years. Surgical effects were evaluated based on the patients’ symptoms and signs. As this is just a retrospective study that does not involve any interventions, ethical approval was not necessary according to the rules of the hospital.

All patients were followed up, no death occurred. Symptom was completely disappeared in 241 cases (75.3%), 50 cases (15.6%) improved; the total effective rate of surgery was 90.9%. No obvious changes of hemifacial spasm were happened in 29 cases (9.1%). There was no deteriorated case.

MVD is one of the preferred treatments of hemifacial spasm, the intraoperative electrophysiological monitoring of abnormal muscle response signals contributes to the determination of responsible vessels and fully understanding of delayed resolution is helpful to the accuracy of surgical evaluation.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles