(1) The association between neurogenesis and epilepsy is an active area of research.Research Highlights
(2) In the hilus, the properties of ectopic granule cells following status epilepticus have been widely studied, but granule cells in the molecular layer are less well understood.Research Highlights
(3) We studied the distribution of granule cells in the molecular layer after pilocarpine-induced status epilepticus.Research Highlights
(4) A history of status epilepticus was associated with an increase in the numbers of mature and ectopic newborn granule cells in the molecular layer.Research Highlights
(5) The abnormal polarization of ectopic granule cells suggests that their electrophysiological properties and synaptic connections may be different from those of normally distributed granule cells.