Heredity versus environment: An integrative analysis

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

C. S. Jencks's (1972) method of analysis of the heredity-environment data is presented, but with the important modification that cognizance is taken of the principle of genetic variation with age, that is, that the genotypic value (G) varies with age. As a result of this modification and a more critical examination of the IQ data, a solution is obtained that agrees with Jencks's figure for covariance, but supports C. Burt and M. Howard's (1956) and A. R. Jensen's (see record 1969-09740-001) emphasis on heredity in that it assigns 75% of the remaining variance to heredity and only 25% to environment. The present study can be regarded as integrative in that (a) it eliminates most of the discrepancies in the field and (b) it uses Jencks's approach, albeit modified, to produce what is essentially Burt's result. (24 ref) (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2006 APA, all rights reserved)

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles