Delayed Salicylate Toxicity in a 17-Year-Old Girl With Initially Undetectable Salicylate Concentration 3.9 Hours After Ingestion

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

We report the case of a 17-year-old girl with a 126-mg/kg nonenteric coated aspirin ingestion with nontoxic salicylate concentrations at 1.5 and 3.9 hours postingestion, who developed tinnitus and vomiting an estimated 8 hours postingestion, and who was subsequently found to have a toxic salicylate concentration at 22.7 hours postingestion. This case, as well as previous cases of delayed aspirin therapy, may prompt providers to consider educating patients and their care providers regarding the need to return for further testing if symptoms, such as vomiting or tinnitus, develop after an aspirin ingestion.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles