Juvenile Papillomatosis (Swiss-Cheese Disease) of Breast in an Adult Male With Sequential Diagnoses of Ipsilateral Intraductal, Invasive, and Widely Metastatic Carcinoma: A Case Report and Review of the Disease in Males

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Juvenile papillomatosis of the breast (JPB, also known as Swiss cheese disease) is a rare ailment that typically afflicts young females, and presents as a mass-forming lesion. The lesional mass usually comprises multiple cysts and duct stasis, amid a variety of proliferative and nonproliferative epithelial changes. The proliferative changes include papillary hyperplasia, florid hyperplasia, and papillary apocrine hyperplasia. Concurrent carcinoma (either in situ or invasive) is present in approximately 10% of cases at presentation, and subsequent carcinoma (either in situ or invasive) is diagnosed in about 10% of patients. About 20% of patients have a strong family history of breast carcinoma. A total of 10 cases of JPB have been previously reported in males, both children and adults, only one of which, in a 33-year-old, was associated with invasive carcinoma. Here, another case of JPB in a 45-year-old male—one with subsequent sequential diagnoses of ipsilateral intraductal carcinoma, invasive carcinoma, and widely metastatic carcinoma over the course of 15 years—is reported.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles