Amitraz: A Perpetual Silent Menace Among Children in Developing Countries—A Case Report

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Amitraz is an acaricide and insecticide used to treat ticks, which infest domestic animals in developing countries. Because of its widespread use, it is one of the common poisons unintentionally consumed by infants and children when left unsupervised. A 3-year-old boy was brought with unintentional consumption of Amitraz. On examination, he was found to be progressively drowsy, with an irregular pulse, bradycardia, and hypotension. He was treated with atropine, intravenous fluids, and dopamine infusion; hemodynamic stability was achieved within 36 hours after ingestion. Amitraz is an unusual but deadly poison unintentionally consumed by children. It can be suspected in the setting of rural households in developing countries having pets. There is no antidote available, and treatment is mainly supportive.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles