Intentional cyanoacrylate ingestion: A rare cause of delayed gastric perforation requiring gastric wedge resection.

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Cyanoacrylate (LOCTITE® 401™) is a fast-acting adhesive available nationwide, with medical and household uses. Most cases of cyanoacrylate exposure are accidental and occur in children less than 5years old. Various routes of exposure have been reported including the dermal, oral, ocular, otic, nasal, and urethral routes; however, very few result in serious complication and mortality. Although a few cases of airway obstruction related to cyanoacrylate ingestion have been reported, intentional cyanoacrylate ingestion-induced gastrointestinal tract injury has scarcely been reported. In addition, there have been no reports of serious complications following intentional cyanoacrylate ingestion requiring surgical intervention. Herein, we report a case of intentional ingestion of cyanoacrylate in a 70-year-old man who required gastric wedge resection due to delayed gastric perforation.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles