To assess the long-term anatomical and functional results of vitreoretinal surgery in patients with advanced Coats disease.Methods:
Retrospective analysis of 23 patients who underwent 23-gauge pars plana vitrectomy combined with transscleral cryotherapy, laser photocoagulation, and intraocular tamponade between 2005 and 2014 and had a follow-up of at least 1 year. The primary outcomes were mean visual acuity and anatomical success.Results:
The average age at the time of surgery was 8.7 ± 1.3 years (range, 2–18 years). The mean follow-up period was 55.2 ± 31 months (range, 12–120 months). In 16 eyes (70%), further treatment was not necessary. In the remaining 7 patients (30%), revision surgery with silicone oil tamponade was required. In 20 eyes (87%), the retina was reattached. At the final visit, 8 eyes (35%) had improved mean Snellen visual acuity from 20/1,000 at initial presentation to 20/160, 3 eyes (13%) showed stabilization, and 6 eyes (26%) had decline in visual acuity. No enucleation was necessary, and no progression to neovascular glaucoma was observed.Conclusion:
Pars plana vitrectomy combined with cryotherapy, laser photocoagulation, and intraocular tamponade could be an effective treatment option for advanced Coats disease. Despite surgery, disease-related complications remained high, but the main aim of management in these young patients is functional and anatomical stability.