Predictors and Outcomes of Recurrent Disease After a Negative Second Look Laparotomy


    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Background and Objectives:To analyze the predictors and outcomes of recurrent disease in patients with epithelial ovarian carcinoma (EOC) after a negative second look laparotomy (SLL).Methods:One hundred nine EOC patients with a negative SLL treated at Hacettepe Hospital were retrospectively analyzed.Results:Of these patients, 70 (64.2%) had no evidence of disease during follow up while remaining 39 (35.8%) had recurrence. Majority of the recurrences (82.1%) were detected within the initial 2 years of the SLL procedure. Multivariate analysis revealed stage and grade of the disease to be the significant predictors for the recurrent disease (P < 0.01 and P = 0.025, respectively). A second analysis with respect to initial metastatic sites revealed omental metastatis was significantly associated with recurrent disease (P < 0.001). Survival of patients with a recurrent disease was significantly poorer and dropped abruptly once a recurrence is developed.Conclusions:Patients with initial omental metastasis, advanced stage and high grade tumors have highest risk for developing recurrences after a (-) SLL. Most of the recurrences develop during the initial 2 years following the (—) SLL and survival drops to less than 2 years once a recurrence is found.

    loading  Loading Related Articles