Trastuzumab and vinorelbine as highly effective and safe therapy for HER-2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer. A single institution experience

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Aims and background.

Trastuzumab-based therapy has improved survival of women with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2)-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer.

Study design.

From September 2002 to July 2006, 45 women with metastatic breast cancer HER2 3+, or 2+ and positive for HER2 gene amplification, were enrolled in the study and received a combination therapy with vinorelbine, 25 mg/m2 weeks 1 and 2, plus trastuzumab, 4 mg/kg loading dose and then 2 mg/kg weekly, in a three weeks cycle. Eligibility criteria included measurable disease and a baseline ejection fraction ≥50%. Forty-two percent of the patients were not pretreated, whereas 58% had received a previous chemotherapy regimen for metastatic disease, including anthracyclines and/or taxanes (47%), and trastuzumab plus taxol (11%).

Results.

We observed 14 (31%) complete responses and 21 (47%) partial responses, with an overall response rate of 78%. Stable disease >6 months was assessed for 5 (11%) patients with a clinical benefit of 89%. Five (11%) patients progressed. With a median follow-up of 11 months, median time to progression was 9 months and median duration of response was 7.6 months for complete remissions and 4 months for partial remissions. Median survival was 29 months.

Conclusions.

In spite of a smaller dose intensity of vinorelbine than previously reported, the regimen evaluated was notably effective in terms of response rate, time to progression and survival, with very mild toxicity.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles