Management and Outcome of Prosthetic Vascular Graft Infections: A Single Center Experience

    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Background:

Prosthetic vascular graft infection (PVGI) remains a severe and challenging complication in vascular surgery with high morbidity and mortality rates. Incidence has been reported between 1% and 6%. The aim of this study was to report our experience in terms of general and surgical management as well as outcome, over 15 years.

Methods:

A retrospective consecutive study was conducted of all patients treated in our department for PVGI between January 2000 and December 2015. We analyzed all data relative to primary operation, duration interval between initial surgery and infections signs, infection site, type of microorganism involved, and surgical treatment modality, as well as evaluation of short- and long-term results.

Results:

Sixty-two patients were admitted for PVGI. Primary revascularization procedures consisted of a peripheral bypass in 42 (68%) patients and an aortic bypass in the remaining 20 (32%) patients. Median interval between primary procedure and reintervention was 3 months (interquartile range 17 [IQR 17]) in the peripheral group and 48 months (IQR 70.5) in the aortic group. Complete excision of the prosthetic graft was carried out in 85% of the cases. Thirty-day mortality was 0% and 9.5% in the aortic and peripheral group, respectively. The overall survival rate was 62.3% at 2-years, 46.4% in the aortic group, and 69.7% in the peripheral group.

Conclusions:

Prosthetic vascular graft infection needs a multidisciplinary management with appropriate antibiotherapy, radical removal of the infected graft, and in situ reconstruction. This strategy gives satisfactory results in terms of mortality, morbidity, patency rates, and infection control.

Related Topics

    loading  Loading Related Articles