Canine toxicology in the home environment
This article discusses three toxins commonly encountered by dogs in the home environment. Theobromine, which is found in chocolate, can result in vomiting, diarrhoea and seizures. The ingestion of grapes and raisins can result in acute renal failure unless aggressive treatment is instituted. Paracetamol – although largely being displaced by ibuprofen – is licensed for use therapeutically in dogs and can have a significant toxic effect if an overdose is given.