Surgical management of ectopic ureters in dogs: Clinical outcome and prognostic factors for long-term continence


    loading  Checking for direct PDF access through Ovid

Abstract

Objective:To determine outcomes after surgical correction of ectopic ureters (EU) and identify prognostic factors for long-term continence.Study design:Retrospective study.Animals:Forty-seven dogs (36 females and 11 males).Methods:Medical records (1999-2016) of dogs with surgical correction of EU were reviewed. A continence score (1 = incontinent, 2 = sporadic incontinence, 3 = continent) was attributed preoperatively, at discharge, 1 month postoperatively, and at long-term evaluation.Results:Twenty-eight dogs had unilateral and 19 dogs had bilateral EU (57 intramural and 9 extramural). Nineteen dogs had a pelvic bladder. Neoureterostomy with dissection (n = 50), ureteroneocystotomy (n = 9), or nephroureterectomy (n = 7) were performed. Thirty-three dogs were neutered: 32 before or during the surgery and 1 after surgery. Colposuspension was performed during surgical correction in 15 dogs. Adjuvant medical treatment improved postoperative continence scores. Median continence scores were greater at discharge (3), at 1 month postoperatively (3), and at long-term evaluation (3) than before surgery (1). At long-term evaluation (mean 46.1 months), a score of 1 was observed in 19%, a score of 2 in 7%, and a score of 3 in 74% of the dogs.Conclusion:Overall, good (score 2) to excellent (score 3) long-term outcome was achieved in 81% of dogs. Long-term continence was improved with medical treatment and neutering was not associated with an increased risk of recurrence of incontinence in this population of dogs.

    loading  Loading Related Articles